SCARAB Gaming Convention - Rules
Please read the following terms, policies and waiver carefully before continuing with your purchase.
ALL PARTICIPANTS IN SOUTH CAROLINA AREA ROLEPLAYERS AND BOARDGAMERS LLC'S ("SCARAB") ANNUAL CONVENTION (”"CONVENTION") BEING HELD JANUARY IN COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA, ARE REQUIRED TO, AND HEREBY DO, ASSUME ALL RISK OF PARTICIPATION IN THE CONVENTION BY ACCEPTING THIS TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT (“"AGREEMENT") AND THE ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY DESCRIBED BELOW. THESE RULES OVERRIDE ANY OTHER RULE, REGULATION, PROMISE, REPRESENTATION, OR OTHER WRITING BY SCARAB. IF THERE IS A CONFLICT BETWEEN THESE RULES AND ANY OTHER WRITING BY SCARAB, THESE RULES AS SET FORTH BELOW SHALL BE DEEMED TO BE CONTROLLING.
1. SCARAB Convention Director and Convention Management (“SCARAB Management") reserves the right to remove anyone that is violating the rules or otherwise preventing others from their enjoying the convention from the convention premises, without a refund. The decision of the Convention Director is final.
2. From time to time persons, including staff persons from SCARAB may take photographs and use them for promotional purposes. These images include, but are not limited to, photographs taken by attendees and posted on various social media websites. By purchasing a badge and attending the Convention, you hereby agree and consent to the use of your image by SCARAB for promotional materials and other such purposes it deems appropriate in its sole discretion.
3. While SCARAB encourages families to bring their children, SCARAB Management cannot be responsible for the care of member children while they game separately. SCARAB Management requires parents to actively monitor the events in which their children are participating. SCARAB posts a rating system which parents can use to judge whether a given event is child-appropriate. SCARAB Management also has a Kids Track which has child-friendly gaming. However, the Kids Track is not a substitute for the parent or a babysitter. SCARAB Management, Convention Director, its agents, employees or volunteers (including Kids Track GMs) are only responsible for entertaining, not caring for, children during the duration of the event. Therefore, parents will need to make separate arrangements to be sure a caretaker is available should the session end early. Children who are disruptive during events will be returned to their parents regardless whether the parent is actively involved in another game session.
4. Please try to keep behavior and actions family friendly during normal Con hours of 8AM to 10PM and be respectful about others around you, particularly in your choices in language, dress, and personal hygiene. Costumes of adult nature or repeated uses of vulgar language are not welcome in the convention common areas during normal Con hours. This includes no nudity or see-through or extremely revealing clothing, and no profanity or offensive language displayed. Anyone deemed not adhering to this rule will be subject to rule 1.
5. Convention Badges are required for participation in Convention events and activities. Convention GMs are responsible for ensuring all participants have a valid Convention Badge. Persons who have registered for the Convention that found without a Convention badge will be given an opportunity to either produce their badge or secure a replacement. Lost badges will be replaced at the cost of $10. The dealers’ room and hallways are open to the public. Offenders, including those who attempt to participate in Convention events without a valid registration, will be escorted from the premises and may suffer such remedies as maybe determined by Convention Management and/or the Convention Director at their sole discretion.
6. Please do not damage either the Holiday Inn or the Medallion Center. If you break it, SCARAB Management will make sure you buy it. Please remember to clean up after yourself, before you walk away from a table make sure it is clean of trash and ready for the next group to sit down and play. If you wish to keep the rates reasonable from one year to the next then please keep the convention area and the hotel clean and trash free. Anyone caught littering will be subject to rule 1.
7. Prop-weapons are welcome subject to approval by SCARAB Management and designated by colored markings showing it is a prop. All prop-weapons must remain holstered or otherwise safely kept. Airsoft weapons used as props are acceptable as long as the battery pack is removed, has no ammo, and is unable to shoot. The unsafe uses of prop weapons are strictly prohibited. Swords are allowed if they are sheathed and peace-bonded. Otherwise, all other “real” weapons are prohibited including firearms in the possession of a valid concealed weapon permit holder. If it is able to fire a projectile, it is considered real. We don’t care if you’ve got a concealed weapon permit or not: don’t bring them in unless you’re a member of law enforcement. The failure to comply will result in the confiscation of the weapon without return. Persons possessing real weapons on Convention premises will be turned over to the proper authorities for prosecution.
8. SCARAB, SCARAB Management, Convention Director, its staff, agents, employees or volunteers are not responsible for anything lost, missing, destroyed, or stolen during the convention. We will have a lost and found at the registration desk and the hotel also has a lost and found.
9. Due to the terms and conditions of the contract to rent the site location for the Convention, all outside food and beverages are strictly prohibited. This means no pizza deliveries, no McDonald runs and absolutely no coolers in designated convention areas. You are welcome to go out to eat, but do not bring food back with you into the Convention areas. Bringing outside food or drinks into the convention could result in a $1,500 fine to SCARAB Gaming Convention. The only food and beverage that is allowed in the Convention space must be purchased on site from an approved vendor. Outside food and beverages are permitted in the parking lots and any hotel rooms only. Any badge holder, their agents, guests, etc. that fail to abide by this rule and are discovered with outside food and beverages hereby agree to fully indemnify SCARAB for the cost of this fine, and any such fees and costs as may be incurred in securing this indemnification including attorneys’ fees and costs.
10. Smoking and e-cigarettes (vaping) are not allowed inside, but there are designated smoking areas outside the Medallion Center and at the hotel. Illegal drugs are strictly prohibited.
11. SCARAB does not allow and cannot permit unauthorized vendors to sell anything at the convention.
12. Do not run or engage in horseplay in the convention site; accidents happen this way. SCARAB, SCARAB Management, its staff, agents, employees or volunteers are not responsible for your physical safety, particularly if you’re acting in an unsafe manner.
13. No overnight sleeping is allowed in the game rooms, event rooms, lobby, or restrooms. SCARAB has made a fantastic deal with the Holiday Inn Express - Fort Jackson, and they will rent you a place to sleep for a very affordable price.
GAMEMASTER (GM) DISCOUNT & REWARD PROGRAM
SCARAB offers the following discounts and rewards for GMs that meet the following qualifications:
Tier I GM or Volunteer (minimum 35 hours required):
1/4 of a Hotel Room or the equivalent in SCARAB coins
$5 Food Per Diem at the Cantina
GM Gift ($30 Value)
Tier II GM or Volunteer (minimum 25 hours required):
$5 Food Per Diem at the Cantina
Tier III GM or Volunteer (minimum 15 hours required):
Discount Badge ($25)
A GM is required to run his or her game for a minimum number of players (to be determined by the program track coordinator and/or Convention Director) for a majority of his or her allotted time to be eligible for this discount. Conversely, no credit will be given to a GM if the game he or she is offering to run does not make. If a GM still desires his credit for running his session, he or she must report to the Convention Staff person who is coordinating that event. The Convention Staff person will then find an appropriate volunteer task which will substitute for the GM’s obligation to run his or her game. If no such volunteer task is available, the program track coordinator may require the GM to run or participate in another game at the Convention Staff person’s sole discretion.
SCARAB is not required to extend any benefits of the discount program if the GM or Volunteer fails to participate in the minimum hours necessary for their tier. SCARAB reserves the right to revoke any discount program benefit to any GM or Volunteer that had already been extended to said GM or Volunteer prior the failure of the GM or Volunteer to meet said minimum qualifications. SCARAB shall be allowed attorneys’ fees and costs if it is forced to seek repayment for any benefits that are extended but not earned.
15. REFUNDS: All refund requests must be made by the end of day on November 1st preceding each annual convention Absolutely no badge cancellation requests will be honored after January 1st preceding each annual convention (Eastern). (Exchanges can be made onsite starting the first day of each convention.) Preregistration cancellations and refunds will be processed by Convention staff as time permits. Refund requests received prior to the end of Preregistration will be issued a refund and credited back to the original credit card or system credit used for purchase, less any administrative fees. Refund requests received November 1st will receive a system credit. (System credit can be used to purchase badges or tickets for any future SCARAB event. It is non-transferrable, non-refundable and does not expire.)
If the items needing to be refunded have already been mailed, we will require the items be returned to SCARAB immediately before your refund will be processed. All badge refunds are subject to a $10 administrative fee. There are no exceptions. All refund requests must be made by the purchaser via mail or email (see Contact Info below). Refund requests must include the first and last name of the attendee, SCARAB Account number and email address associated with the account. Badge types and Game IDs, along with a description of the items to be refunded is greatly appreciated.
16. EXCHANGES OR UPGRADES: If you want to exchange your 1-Day badge for a 4-Day badge or your 4-Day badge for a 1-Day badge before the end of Preregistration, you must first contact Customer Service (see Contact Info below) to refund your current badge. Then you can purchase the new badge online. Onsite, a 1-day badge can be upgraded to a 4-day badge only if the 1-day badge is current. In order to exchange a current 1-day badge for a different 1-day badge onsite, you must do so a minimum of one day before your badge is valid.
A valid government issued photo ID and a Convention badge are required to process any type of badge exchange onsite.
17. ETERNAL MEMBERS SPECIFIC RULES: SCARAB has extended from time to time the privilege of becoming an “Eternal Member.” An Eternal Member is entitled to following benefits at the sole discretion of SCARAB:
A. A maximum cost of $40 for a four day badge to any future SCARAB event.
B. Participation the Eternal Rewards program. At current time, the Eternal Members are entitled to a credit of $4 for every badge that is sold by that Eternal Member to any third party. This credit can be applied to the purchase of that Eternal Member’s badge for the next year or as a $4 credit with any vendor (canteen or dealer) at the Convention.
An Eternal Membership is not a guarantee that an Eternal Member is entitled to the lowest price available. SCARAB Management, in its sole discretion, may choose to offer a lower rate than $40 to all prospective attendees. Eternal Members who have purchased their badge are not entitled to a rebate or refund on the difference in the lower price versus the $40 minimum guaranteed rate.
An Eternal Membership is subject to revocation at any time for any reason without refund or other compensation at the sole and complete discretion of the Convention Director or SCARAB Management. An Eternal Membership is also non-transferable. These terms may be modified, amended, and/or deleted at any time without notice.
18. DEALERS/MERCHANT SPECIFIC RULES: SCARAB values the participation of dealers and vendors at the Convention. These rules specifically apply to dealers:
Dealers may start setting up their space in the Convention hall after 12 pm on the Friday each annual event. Dealers will have access to Hall an hour before and after listed hours for additional set-up. These hours are subject to change at the discretion of SCARAB Management, Convention Director, and/or Dealers’ Room Director.
Dealers must contact the Dealers’ Room Director for space availability. Sending payment does not automatically secure table space. Payment is not required until your application is accepted. Dealers will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis. Special requests (i.e. wall space, electrical access, etc.) will be taken along with applications. There is no guarantee special requests can be fulfilled.
Space is limited, so dealers are encouraged to apply early. Any approved applicants who have not paid or made arrangements for their table space(s) by the Preregistration Deadline October 1st of the preceding year will lose their discounted status. Payment is required prior to admission to convention.
SCARAB will accept cash, check, credit card and debit card, and merchandise and dealer gift certificates as payment for tables. Merchandise and gift certificates exchanged for payment will be required at badge pick-up. Merchandise must be new and in unopened or unused condition, and SCARAB reserves the right to refuse any product offered as payment. If the specified product is not remitted at time of badge pick-up or if insufficient value of merchandise or gift certificates is remitted, the difference in the retail value will be charged to you and required prior to admission. The difference charged will be the Late Registration Rate for tables/spaces.
The standard size of a table is 3’ by 6’. There is usually a 4’ space behind each table. Tables can be moved for additional displays within reason and at the discretion of the Dealers’ Room Director. Each initial space/table comes with two dealer badges. Badges allow dealers full admission to the convention. Additional badges can be added on any time before the start of the convention at the rate of $40 per additional badge.
B. Acceptance of vouchers
SCARAB will be providing vouchers to games masters and Eternal Members to support the open gaming events. These “SCARAB BUCKS” must be accepted on a dollar for dollar basis. The convention will settle these vouchers with dealers on a dollar for dollar basis on Monday via check, credit card or other acceptable form of payment, or they may be used as payment towards dealer space at the next year’s event. SCARAB Bucks held by a dealer after the conclusion of the convention can only be redeemed as credit towards future dealers fees.
The failure to accept SCARAB BUCKS as outlined herein will result in the removal of the dealer, the revocation of dealer’s status and the forfeiture of their dealer fees.
SCARAB Management will monitor the Dealers’ Room on a regular basis. However, SCARAB does not provide dedicated security staff. Dealers are responsible for their own property, and under no circumstance will the convention be liable for the theft, loss or damage of merchandise, equipment, or revenue. We will not be able to provide bag checks. Each Dealer is responsible for the security of their merchandise. Therefore, Dealers should take extra precautions in the placement of merchandise and are advised to ensure items are not easily stolen. While adult merchandise and weaponry is not banned, such displays should be inaccessible to minors. Warnings will be issued for inappropriate displays and failure to comply will result in the removal of the dealer, the revocation of a dealer’s status and the forfeiture of their fees.
D. Banned Items
Any items that would infringe on existing copywriters will not be allowed. These items include bootleg CD’s, copies of any copyrighted materials, commercially licensed software, bootleg videotapes, fan subs, unlicensed reproductions, photocopied or scanned copies of game books, etc. Warnings will be issued for inappropriate items and failure to comply with warnings may result in loss of table and ejection from the convention without refund of registration fees.
Dealers will be given a 1/4 page, black and white ad in the convention program book at no additional cost. Additional and upgraded advertising is available in the convention program book and on the convention website. For information on further advertising and on dealer space please visit the SCARAB website at http://www.s-c-a- r-a-b.com or contact the Dealers’ Room Director. Con-Book adverts are due by November 30th prior to each annual convention. After this date a dealer may provide SCARAB with flyers or other advertisements to be place in the concierge bag at no cost.
G. Breach of agreement
Failure to adhere to the dealer’s agreement will result in the removal of the dealer, the revocation of dealer’s status and the forfeiture of their dealer fees.
Any questions can be directed to the Dealers’ Room Director.
19. WAIVER/ASSUMPTION OF RISK/RELEASE OF LIABILITY: You agree to assume all risks of participating in the Convention and release SCARAB from any liability for loss, damage or injury (including disability or death) to your person and property while attending, participating in or becoming involved with the Convention. You specifically make the following representations and assurances to SCARAB, acknowledging that SCARAB would not permit your participation in the Convention without receiving such representations and assurances:
I wish to participate in a SCARAB Convention subject to the terms and conditions herein. I acknowledge and agree that the Convention involves some inherently dangerous activities. SCARAB will use good faith efforts to conduct and manage the Convention, but I understand that it is not possible to make the Convention completely safe. I warrant and represent that I am sufficiently knowledgeable, skilled and/or informed regarding the Convention to properly and fully judge the inherent risks of the Convention.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK. I acknowledge and agree that the Convention involves potential risks of serious personal injury, disability or even death. I represent that I have sufficient physical fitness to participate in the Convention and I have no medical reason or impairment that might otherwise prevent me from participating in the Convention. If I know or should know of any condition or problem that might prevent me from safely participating in the Convention, I agree that I will immediately advise SCARAB and remove myself from the Convention.
In consideration of being allowed to attend, participate in or become involved with the Convention, I hereby assume full responsibility for my own safety and accept all known and unanticipated risks of loss, damage and injury (including death or disability) to myself and my property while attending, participating in or becoming involved with the Convention, regardless of whether or not such risks are attributable to the negligence of others. By assuming and accepting all known and unanticipated risks, I completely absolve, waive, discharge and release SCARAB and all its employees, advisors, consultants, members, contractors, organizers, operators, volunteers, sponsors or other persons affiliated with SCARAB and all facility staff, guests, fellow participants, landlords, owners, management companies and the like (collectively the “Indemnified Parties”) from any legal duty for my safety or any liability for my harm, to the maximum extent permitted by law.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY. In consideration of being allowed to attend, participate in or become involved with the Convention, I hereby agree to release, waive, discharge, hold harmless, defend and indemnify the Indemnified Parties from and against any and all liability, claims, demands, controversy, lawsuits or possible causes of action (“"Claims") that may accrue or arise from any loss, damage or injury (including death or disability) to my person and property that is in any way related to or arising in connection with my attendance at, participation in or involvement with the Convention, regardless of whether or not such Claims are attributable in whole or in part to any act, omission or negligence of the Indemnified Parties. I agree that the Indemnified Parties will not be legally responsible for any loss, damage and injury (including death or disability) to my person and property arising out of or in any way connected to the Convention, however caused and on any theory of liability whatsoever (whether in contract, tort, negligence, strict liability or otherwise), including but not limited to the Indemnified Parties own negligence. Such defense and indemnification shall include all reasonable costs, expenses and attorneys’ fees that may be associated with any Claims. I further agree that I will not cause, encourage, promulgate, support or cooperate with (unless such cooperation is judicially mandated) any Claims to be brought against the Indemnified Parties.
I understand that the above release and assumption of risk is intended to provide a comprehensive release of liability but is not intended to assert any defenses that are prohibited by law. The release and assumption of risk shall be enforceable to the fullest extent allowed by law. If any portion of the release and assumption of risk is held invalid, those parts that are not held invalid shall continue in full force and effect. The terms of the above release and assumption of risk shall apply to and be binding on myself, my spouse, my heirs, all members of my family, executors, administrators, representatives, and assigns.
I understand this Agreement is a binding contract that supersedes any other agreements or representations and is intended to provide a comprehensive release of liability but is not intended to assert any defenses which are prohibited by law. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Agreement shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. The parties hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the United States District Court for South Carolina or the Court of Common Pleas for Lexington County, South Carolina any actions, suits or proceedings arising out of or relating to this Agreement and irrevocably and unconditionally waive any objection to the laying of venue of any action, suit or proceeding arising out of this Agreement. The parties hereby irrevocably waive all rights to trial by jury in any action, proceeding or counterclaim (whether based on contract, tort or otherwise) arising out of or otherwise relating to this Agreement.
EXPLOITATION OF NAME AND LIKENESS
In consideration of being allowed to participate in this Convention, I hereby agree that SCARAB may photograph and/or record my likeness and/or voice and my participation in the Convention and without any additional consideration, I hereby agree that SCARAB and its assigns and/or licensees may distribute, exhibit, broadcast, exploit, advertise, publicize and promote my name, biographical material, likeness, voice and performance in and in connection with the Convention or other SCARAB events. I further agree that SCARAB may edit my appearance therein and I waive any personal or proprietary rights with respect thereto. I represent and warrant to SCARAB that I have not made any contract or commitment in conflict with this grant of rights to SCARAB. Nothing herein contained shall obligate SCARAB to make or cause to be made any broadcast or other use of said appearance, or to exercise any of the rights granted to SCARAB herein.
20. CONTACT INFO: If you have any inquiries regarding our Refund, Exchange or Cancellation Policies, please call our office at 803-792-7266; in writing at at http://s-c-a-r-a-b.com/ContactUs.php. Customer Service hours are 9:30 am - 5:00 pm (Eastern). SCARAB does not employ office staff. Messages will be returned at the convenience of SCARAB Management, and you should anticipate that such messages may take several days to receive a response. During the convention, all inquiries can be made at the Convention Registration onsite.
I (OR MY PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN) HAVE CAREFULLY READ THESE TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS AND HEREBY ACCEPT AND AGREE TO IT VOLUNTARILY OF MY OWN FREE WILL. I AFFIRM THAT EITHER I AM OR MY PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN IS OVER 18 YEARS OF AGE AND HAVE FULL RIGHT, AUTHORITY AND CAPACITY TO ENTER INTO THIS TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT AND TO MAKE THE RELEASE AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK DESCRIBED HEREIN. MY OR MY PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN’S ACCEPTANCE AND ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF THESE TERMS IS SIGNIFIED BY MY PURCHASE AND ACCEPTANCE OF A BADGE TO THE CONVENTION BY ME OR MY PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN (IF I AM UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE).
These rules are in place for your protection as well as ours and we thank you in advance for adhering to them.